Venue & Directions
Conference registration, as well as all presentations, plenary addresses, and workshop sessions, will take place at VIU’s main administrative campus at:
TRANSPORTATION TO VIU
VIU is easy to get to and from, no matter which mode of transportation you are using. The Washington, DC metro area provides a variety of transportation options, including:
The Washington, DC area has three airports servicing the region (Baltimore Washington Airport-BWI, Washington Dulles International Airport-IAD, and Reagan National Airport-DCA). Because of the close proximity to Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), conference participants are encouraged to use this as an option for flights. The other airports are accessible to/from VIU, but are at a greater distance from the conference.
Information regarding IAD is provided here :http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/dulles.htm
All of the DC region airports offer ground transportation (car rentals and taxi services) and Super Shuttle. Super Shuttle offers door-to-door service from the airport to your final destination. Fares are usually around $35-40 for one-way travel to or from the airport, or $70-80 round-trip. Additional discounts can apply if travelling with more than one person.
For further information on traveling to and from the DC area by way of either Reagan National or Dulles International Airport Please visit the Metro Washington Area Airport Authority Website at http://www.metwashairports.com
Situated in Fairfax, VIU is only three miles from the Vienna (Virginia) Metrorail Station at the end of the Metro's Orange Line. This subway line is part of the 103-mile Metrorail rapid transit subway system that serves the entire Washington, DC metropolitan area, including Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland.
For further information on using the DC-area Metro system, including maps, travel times, and trip planning, please visit the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s website at http://www.wmata.com
VIU visitors can also take advantage of the local area's CUE bus system, which serves Fairfax City and the surrounding areas along all the main thoroughfares with stops at major shopping and recreational areas. CUE buses also provide a quick link to the Vienna Metrorail Station.
By CUE Bus From Vienna Metro Station - Click here to get directions.
1. Walk to Vienna Station & Bus Bay T
2. Take 1A metrobus towards Ballston.
3. Get off at the intersection of ARLINGTON BLVD & COVINGTON ST.
4. Take 1C towards West Ox Road & Alliance Drive.
5. Get off at the intersection of GOVERNMENT PKWY & LOWER PARK.
6. Walk to Monument Drive.
7. Cross VA29-Lee Hwy. Monument Drive becomes Village Drive.
8. VIU’s building is on the corner (4401 Village Drive)
For further information on the Fairfax CUE Bus System, including maps and schedules, please visit Fairfax County’s information site at http://www.fairfaxva.gov/CueBus
Directions to our Village Drive Administrative Building at 4401 Village Drive, Fairfax, VA, from the local airports (IAD, BWI, and DCA) and points west and east of VIU.
IAD (Dulles) Airport - Click here to get directions.
- Take exit 9A toward VA-28 South/Sully Rd. Next, merge onto US-29 North toward Fairfax. Drive for about 4.6 miles, then turn right onto Village Drive.
***NOTE: The drive is usually around 20-30 minutes.
DCA (Ronald Reagan National) Airport - Click here to get directions.
- Get on George Washington Memorial Pkwy. Exit left onto N Spout Run Pkwy toward I-66 West/US-29 West/Arlington/Washington. Turn right onto US-29 South, then turn left to merge onto I-66 West. Take exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Turn right onto VA-665. In 0.5mi, turn right onto US-29 South. Finally, turn left onto Village Drive.
***NOTE: The drive is usually around 35-50 minutes.
BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) Airport - Click here to get directions.
- Take ramp onto I-195 West. Next, take exit 4B for I-95 South toward Washington. Take exit 27 to merge onto I-495 West toward Silver Spring. After 22.1 miles, take exit 49 for I-66 West toward Manassas/Front Royal. Take exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Turn right onto VA-665. In 0.5mi, turn right onto US-29 South. Finally, turn left onto Village Drive.
***NOTE: The drive is usually around 1 hour and a half.
From I-66 West(Driving From Capital Beltway)
- Follow I-66 W to US-50 East. Take Exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Continue on US-50E. Turn right onto VA-665/Waples Mill Road. Turn right on US-29 South. Turn left onto Village Drive. VIU is on the left.
From I-66 East (Driving From Manassas)
- Follow I-66 E to US-50 East. Take Exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Continue on US-50E. Turn right onto VA-665/Waples Mill Road. Turn right on US-29 South. Turn left onto Village Drive. VIU is on the left.
THINGS TO DO IN WASHINGTON, DC & FAIRFAX
Below are some non-sponsored/non-affiliated links including things going on around the Washington, DC metro area.
Washington, DC's close proximity to Virginia International University makes it a prime place to take in some sightseeing. Here is a website that hosts information on things to do in the Washington, DC area: https://washington.org/things-do-washington-dc
Fairfax, VA offers a mixture of historical attractions and metropolitan life. If you are looking to find things to do around the Virginia International University campus, the City of Fairfax offers a useful Trip Planner: http://www.fxva.com/seedoplan/
Information on transportation within the immediate area around the University can be found here: http://viu.edu/our-university/about-viu/location-and-transportation.html
Also, consider exploring the Washington Metropolitan Area's Trip Planner at wmata.com.