Travel and Accomodations
Conference registration, as well as all presentations, plenary addresses, and workshop sessions, will take place at VIU’s main administrative campus at:
Virginia International University
4401 Village Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Telephone: (703) 591-7042
VIU is easy to get to and from, no matter which mode of transportation you are using.
The Washington, DC area has three airports servicing the region (Baltimore Washington Airport-BWI, Washington Dulles International Airport-IAD, and Reagan National Airport-DCA). Because of the close proximity to Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), conference participants are encouraged to use this as an option for flights. The other airports are accessible to/from VIU, but are at a greater distance from the conference.
Information regarding IAD is provided here :http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/dulles.htm
All of the DC region airports offer ground transportation (car rentals and taxi services) and Super Shuttle. Super Shuttle offers door-to-door service from the airport to your final destination. Fares are usually around $35-40 for one-way travel to or from the airport, or $70-80 round-trip. Additional discounts can apply if traveling with more than one person.
For further information on traveling to and from the DC area by way of either Reagan National or Dulles International Airport Please visit the Metro Washington Area Airport Authority Website at http://www.metwashairports.com
Situated in Fairfax, VIU is only three miles from the Vienna (Virginia) Metrorail Station at the end of the Metro's Orange Line. This subway line is part of the 103-mile Metrorail rapid transit subway system that serves the entire Washington, DC metropolitan area, including Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland.
For further information on using the DC-area Metro system, including maps, travel times, and trip planning, please visit the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s website at http://www.wmata.com
VIU visitors can also take advantage of the local area's CUE bus system, which serves Fairfax City and the surrounding areas along all the main thoroughfares with stops at major shopping and recreational areas. CUE buses also provide a quick link to the Vienna Metrorail Station.
By CUE Bus From Vienna Metro Station - Click here to get directions.
1. Walk to Vienna Station & Bus Bay T
2. Take 1A metrobus towards Ballston.
3. Get off at the intersection of ARLINGTON BV & COVINGTON ST.
4. Take 1C towards West Ox Road & Alliance Drive.
5. Get off at the intersection of GOVERNMENT PKWY & LOWER PARK.
6. Walk to Monument Drive.
7. Cross VA29-Lee Hwy. Monument Drive becomes Village Drive.
8. VIU’s building is on the corner (4401 Village Drive)
For further information on the Fairfax CUE Bus System, including maps and schedules, please visit Fairfax County’s information site at http://www.fairfaxva.gov/CueBus
Village Drive Building
Directions to our Village Drive Administrative Building at 4401 Village Drive, Fairfax, VA, from the local airports (IAD, BWI, and DCA) and points west and east of VIU.
IAD (Dulles) Airport - Click here to get directions.
- Take exit 9A toward VA-28 South/Sully Rd. Next, merge onto US-29 North toward Fairfax. Drive for about 4.6 miles, then turn right onto Village Drive.
***NOTE: The drive is usually around 20-30 minutes.
DCA (Ronald Reagan National) Airport - Click here to get directions.
- Get on George Washington Memorial Pkwy. Exit left onto N Spout Run Pkwy toward I-66 West/US-29 West/Arlington/Washington. Turn right onto US-29 South, then turn left to merge onto I-66 West. Take exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Turn right onto VA-665. In 0.5mi, turn right onto US-29 South. Finally, turn left onto Village Drive.
***NOTE: The drive is usually around 35-50 minutes.
BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) Airport - Click here to get directions.
- Take ramp onto I-195 West. Next, take exit 4B for I-95 South toward Washington. Take exit 27 to merge onto I-495 West toward Silver Spring. After 22.1 miles, take exit 49 for I-66 West toward Manassas/Front Royal. Take exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Turn right onto VA-665. In 0.5mi, turn right onto US-29 South. Finally, turn left onto Village Drive.
***NOTE: The drive is usually around 1 hour and a half.
From I-66 West(Driving From Capital Beltway)
- Follow I-66 W to US-50 East. Take Exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Continue on US-50E. Turn right onto VA-665/Waples Mill Road. Turn right on US-29 South. Turn left onto Village Drive. VIU is on the left.
From I-66 East (Driving From Manassas)
- Follow I-66 E to US-50 East. Take Exit 57A to merge onto US-50 East toward Fairfax. Continue on US-50E. Turn right onto VA-665/Waples Mill Road. Turn right on US-29 South. Turn left onto Village Drive. VIU is on the left
Although there are many hotels in the immediate area surrounding Virginia International University, we recommend one of our local partners, Comfort Inn University Center. Comfort Inn University Center offers a special rate to our conference participants. Information regarding Comfort Inn is listed below:
- Comfort Inn University Center
11180 Fairfax Boulevard, Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: (703) 591-5900
Fax: (703) 591-3507
Mention that you are a "VIU Conference" participant when making your reservation to get the VIU participant/student rate. If you would like to make your reservation online, follow the instructions in our guide.
Rate: $69.99 per Night
Security Deposit: No
Distance from VIU: 0.5 mi/0.8 km
Public Transportation: Yes
Amenities: Free high-speed internet; indoor heated pool; game room; guest laundry; free breakfast; free shuttle to local companies; business center with copy/fax service; fitness center; free local calls; free television; fully equipped kitchenettes